March 21, 2007

A Path

Lost in trance, on a deserted path
My feet kept moving, which way? I knew not.
There were no crossroads, no twists or turns
Just a hypnotic stretch of tar, as far as eye can see.
There were no other passers-by, no bird no animal -
I was alone, at peace with my world and theirs.
The trees stood around me in a bare-armed embrace,
Autumn had wreaked havoc, and Spring was still far away.
Those brown leaves crumpled under my feet,
Like memories of yore, trampled by tomorrow's worries.
I walked and I walked, my feet never hurt one bit!
I stopped to say hello to the little wild flower behind the rock,
I nodded a 'goodday' to the golden bee on the next!
I lost track of how far I'd come, how far I'd strayed
There was an unending path, behind and ahead.

Shortly, I came upon a milestone, a muddy stump of wood
That showed a meaningless number to nowhere.
Was that my destination? Is that how far I'm supposed to go?
Who would tell me that? How would I know?
I looked at the way I'd come and
Found it no different than the way I was to go!
Then how did the number on the milestone matter, I wondered.
To my left was barren land, littered by rocks and bush
Lay a corn field to my right, lush with golden crop.
There would be a village there not far away, and
There would be a farmer who would surely cross my way
He could tell me where I could go, he could give me bread and water too.

But I was not tired, my feet were still raring to go and
I was curious where the bleak landscape would lead to.
So off I went to my left, towards the wild unknown
I tripped on the rocks, and slipped on the sand but
My feet never wavered, my mind never in doubt
I walked on where a path never existed.
I reached a summit, where the land became rougher
Tougher journeys lay ahead, but without the milestones.

I paused and looked back, to see the way I'd come
And my heart was filled with immense joy -
For now, a path I could see, the path I'd trodden by.

Labels:

7 Comments:

Blogger Nithya said...

Lady Robert Frost in the making !!

Awesome seriously....Loved it..I am reminded of "The Road not Taken" and "Stopping by the woods on a snowy evening", whilst reading this poem of yours..

*Clapping frantically* :)
I want more such poems from ur side :D

March 28, 2007 at 9:34 PM  
Blogger Priya Arun said...

Thank you, thank you, thank you! :-)

You're right, after I finished it and read it again, I felt the same too.

March 29, 2007 at 12:40 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

AAA (Adore Admire Amazed)

onwards & upwards
/Yuva

March 29, 2007 at 8:00 PM  
Blogger Vivekanand M said...

Amazing stuff!

March 30, 2007 at 3:46 AM  
Blogger Ryan said...

Fan-bloody-tastic ( as my brother sez!!)...felt good after reading this...i nevereven imagined the poem wud end this way after the way it started....Wandarfool!!!....u have a way with words!!!

April 1, 2007 at 3:17 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lovely. I loved it.

April 7, 2007 at 2:31 AM  
Blogger Priya Arun said...

Yuva - *takes a bow* thanks! :-)

Vivek - Thank you! :-)

Sharan - Thanks! :-) even I didnt know the poem would end that way.. it just wrote itself!

Appu - Thanks! nee enna blogging vittuteya?

April 25, 2007 at 10:36 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home